My Teacher always spoke of the great importance of solitude for the sake of healing, centering, grounding, spirituality, inner sight, higher connections, self discovery, the facing of self and the deeply personal interaction with the natural world around us and within us.
Every once and a while he would allow me to partake in the Night of Solitude. Before hand I would purify myself by way of physical and mental techniques; preparing myself for the night alone in the dark. Once all the personal preparations were made I would wander into the wilderness before dusk and find my place among the world. There I would remain, alone and without light, food or any modern equipment throughout the night and into the mid hours of morning. Afterwards I would wander out and once again use techniques to clean, balance, release and give thanks for my Night of Solitude and all that I had discovered.
The Night of Solitude can be looked at as a mini Quest. The true Vision Quest is of course 4 days and nights, but the Night of Solitude is a great way to reconnect with the core self and placement within life. It has traditionally been used for thousands of years around the world as a means of initiation, cleansing, preparation for ceremony- hunts- healings- journeys, etc. Young and old both used this Night of Solitude for personal enhancement.
Ways Of The Wild Institute offers a Night of Solitude to any who wishes to experience this ancient tradition. Here the student will:
- spend the afternoon learning mental preparation techniques
- spend the afternoon learning physical preparation techniques
- be guided into the wilderness
- spend the night alone in solitude where you can utilize your own personal techniques to gain what you are there to seek
- or utilize neutral techniques taught the afternoon before
- be guided back the next day
- learn post cleansing techniques
- end with a fire, food and discussion
- During the first afternoon and evening there will be no meals. Light weight “neutral” snacks will be provided for those who cannot do without food for medical reasons. Water and tea will be provided. In the morning after ceremony a hearty breakfast will be provided.
The Night of Solitude is offered to ages 18 and up.
We understand that in today’s society it is different than it was when pre-technological cultures thrived. Many people are not accustomed to a general lack of modern equipment- even for one night. With that in mind the following items are allowed during the Night of Solitude:
- ground pad
- sleeping bag
- bug netting
- water bottle
- small pack to carry the above items
No tents, flashlights, I-pods, cell phones, food, musical instruments or other modern gear are permitted. If it is raining a tarp will be provided for shelter. This is a night of silence and darkness.
A complete equipment list will be emailed to students upon registration. Pre-registration is required for the Night of Solitude.
Pre-registration requires a $75.00 non-refundable deposit. You can make your deposit here.
Total cost for the course is $190.00. Once you pay the deposit of $75.00 the remaining cost of $115.00 can be paid below through paypal or with money order.
All payments can be made by money order, cash upon arrival or Paypal.
Ask White Wolf
Network With Us